Sallie House
The story line is that the owner was a doctor, who had an affair with the African American house maid,
resulting in the birth of a child….a girl named Sally. When she was around 6-7 she became ill and it
was determined that she needed to have her appendix taken out but the doctor didn’t want anyone to
know about Sally so he refused to take her to the hospital and she died. Her mother was very angry and
attacked the doctor resulting in her death. The doctor moved away and Sally and her mother remained,
as spirits, in the house. The mother is still grieving her child and is the one who attacks the visitors but
Sally is a happy ghost and tries to play with the children that move in…no families stay very long due
to the vicious attacks….usually to the adult males. It is suspected the doctor buried the bodies of Sally
and her mother somewhere on the premises or in the basement.
Another story goes that a frantic mother arrived carrying her 6-year-old daughter, Sallie. The child had
collapsed from severe abdominal pain. The doctor diagnosed appendicitis and knew there was no time
to delay surgery. Believing the appendix would soon burst, the doctor began cutting Sallie before the
anesthesia took full effect. Sallie’s screams suddenly stopped and she grew pale and limp. She died on
the operating table – her last memories of a man whom she believed was torturing her.

Reports of Sallie’s haunting grew even more ominous in 1993, when the house was rented to a young
couple. Their dog seemed to growl at nothing, especially near the upstairs nursery. Things began to take
a violent turn, however. Fires broke out in the house and a series of sinister attacks on the husband
began. The operating area would become cold. Objects would visibly move when the young man drew
near. He could feel scratches upon his chest or abdomen. But never did the ghost attack the wife or
There is so much conjecture in this story that I'm not sure what is the truth and what isn't. So I'm going to
put it all here. I've also included a link to Troy Taylor's webpage about the site. It's a intersting story and
more investigation needs to be done.
Events that have been witnessed by today’s visitors to the Sallie House are cameras, video and
investigative equipment that stop working, or once the batteries are full, they then immediately
completely drain. Visitors also experience moving objects, have noticed scratches or bruising on their
bodies during/after visits that are unexplained, physical touches, mysterious coldness.  Trained guide
dogs allowed to enter the house have barked outside or will not enter the nursery. Psychics have
confirmed the presence of spirits dwelling in the home and many have actually communicated with
them – and skeptics have left believers.

Visits by paranormal investigators have provided audio, video and photographic proof of paranormal
activity. The house has also received coverage on several television networks, including A&E, The
Travel Channel, The Discovery Channel, and the Syfy Channel, as well as various national
publications and radio outlets.
Located at 508 N Second street in Atchison Kansas, it was
originally constructed in 1867 for the Finney Family.
Charles Finney grew up in the house and lived there until he
died. He was married to         
Louise Marie Zibold Finney and had a son named Charles
The Sallie House in Atchison, Kansas quickly earned a national reputation as one of the most
haunted places in the U.S. -- almost certainly the most haunted in the state of Kansas. The rather
simple-looking painted brick house at 508 N. Second Street, built between 1867 and 1871, gives no
indication from the street of its spooky reputation, but the many experiences of those who lived there
are have subsequently investigated the place testify as to its ghostly vibes -- mostly of the negative
For more information go to Troy Taylor's webpage.
508 N Second Street Atchison Kansas